Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Runways and Diaper Bags

When working in the world of fashion, there are a lot of demands and expectations that need to be met without exceptions or excuses. Interestingly enough, it’s the same with motherhood. Mom’s of the new millennium are doing it all; working full-time jobs, maintaining their homes while making sure the kids get their homework done. In between all of this, many can be found prowling runways or posing for magazine covers with bodies that instill envy in the rest of us. While this year’s Mother’s Day is behind us, we here at Indulge have taken a look into the lives of a few mothers who can get the kids on the school bus on time, and still make it to the photo shoot without breaking a sweat.


SHIRL LANKFORD; “SASHA FIERCE”
1. Was it harder to be a model before or after you had kids?
    “I started modeling after I had my daughter. Once I had her, I finished school then decided to get into modeling. It was harder for me, much harder. You had to balance being a mother as well as your career. It was hard trying to cater to [my daughter’s] needs as well as cater to my needs in the modeling world. It wasn’t easy to juggle that.”



2. How were you able to balance the home, a steady job AND modeling?
    “It’s all about managing your time. I would schedule shoots and stuff around me, and what I could do at that moment. It’s all about balancing what’s important.”

3.. What kind of relationship do you have with your own mother?
     “My mother is my mother and my father. She is my world. I have to talk to her everyday. There’s not a day that passes that I don’t talk to her. We have a great relationship, a great friendship.”

4. What was your first thought when you discovered that you were going to be a mommy?
    “The first thing that came to my mind was ‘Oh my gosh! I’m going to be a mom!’. I was overwhelmed! I was very excited about becoming a mother to my own!”



5. What advice do you have to give to other mothers out there who want to do what you do?
     “The best advice I have to give them would be to first love yourself and your kids. Don’t ever be discouraged! If modeling is something you want to do, no matter your age, don’t let anything discourage you, and continue to strive to be the best you can be.”



JOHANNA JOHNSON
1. What is the biggest affect your career choice has had on your child? What affect does it have on you as a mother?
    “My career has an effect on my son, because the career I've chosen will potential take care of him. The effect it has on myself as far as being a mother, sometimes I cant give him all my attention. I wish there was two of me.”


2. What do you want to do differently from your own parents?
    “I always seem to do the opposite of my parents. Their ideal career for me would be something typical, like a RN , or receptionist. I have dreams, big ones, of having my own business. I love art, and I tend to be rebellious. I want my career to be exciting where you never know what to expect.”

3. You’ve mentioned that your son suffers from autism. What is the hardest part about being a mother to a child with this condition?
    “The hardest part about being a mother with a child with autism is me being young. I’m still learning how to be just a mother, but a mother to a child with autism is even more difficult. He doesn’t communicate, so it's hard to understand him, and know what he wants at times.”

4. How did you feel when you discovered that your child had autism? Did anything change for you?
    “When I found out my son had autism, I cried. I didn’t understand, I wanted to blame myself. They told me 1 out of every 10 boys have autism. That its very common, and there’s no reason for it. My second thought was why my son. My son is very smart though, I now see it as a blessing he has a gift, and as he get older and find out what makes him go he is going to achieve beyond anyone’s imagination.”





5. What advice do you have to give to mothers out there who want to do what you do?
    “If you have any type of dreams, or personal goals. Go for it. You have one life and I cant live mine without knowing that I’ve tried to reach it.”

1 comment: